Check out which are the main free blog platforms and know which one is right for you – WAU
Gone are the days when blogs were seen only as a space for discussions and entertainment. Today, they are fundamental tools for professionals and companies to educate, engage and communicate with their audience in a constructive and authentic way. This can be done with free blogging platforms.
Everyone needs a space on the Web, either to publicize their personal ideas or to bring their Content Marketing strategy to life. The good news is that there are a number of free blogging platforms today and creating your own has never been easier.
However, adding the number of users of the main platforms for the dissemination and management of current content, it is estimated that there are more than 400 million active blogs worldwide.
Soon, if you really want your ideas to be read or your company to be found by the public, in addition to looking at the content, you need to advertise it in the right place.
We have already shown here how to create a blog and, in this post, we will talk about the most widely used free blog platforms, their features, advantages and disadvantages, and how to choose the best one. Enjoy reading!
What is the definition of CMS?
The CMS or Content Management System (Content Management System) is a software used to create, configure, manage and publish content on the internet in a simplified way, without the need to perform complex Web development tasks.
That is, the entire “complex” part of the development is replaced by an intuitive interface, which makes the process of creating pages much simpler.
These platforms have gained popularity not only because they facilitate the creation and dissemination of information on the Internet, but also because they reduce costs with routine maintenance and, mainly, because they give content producers much more autonomy.
What are the best free platforms for personal blogs?
If you need a space to spread your ideas, create a portfolio or generate traffic, these platforms are completely free and very simple to use, and some already have an established audience, which contributes to the reach and engagement of posts.
WordPress is the best known free platform for creating websites around the world and has not achieved this fame by chance. It offers a wide range of free themes and customization options, in addition to presenting a friendly and reliable interface that has fallen in the users’ taste.
WordPress.com is the blog hosting service on the WordPress platform that does not require installation or contracting of additional services. Just create a free account and start building your blog.
- various customization options;
- updates and automatic backup;
- allows you to use a custom domain.
- does not accept plugins;
- limited database;
- servers usually overloaded due to the high volume of users.
Medium is a free platform for posting content that is relatively young, but growing rapidly, even in London. The proposal of its creators, among them the co-founder of Twitter, Evan Williams, is to create a minimalist environment focused on content.
This means that you will not find many customization options in Medium, but will have other very interesting features, such as the possibility of making markups and comments on specific parts of the text.
- clean and intuitive design;
- allows incorporation with social networks;
- focused on reading experience and content quality.
- very few customization options;
- public still restricted;
- focused only on more elaborate texts.
Blogger is Google’s free blogging platform and was once considered one of the most beloved tools in the field, but has been losing popularity with the rise of other similar solutions.
Still, Blogger is very interesting and houses most of the blogs on the planet. IS focused on informative and personal content, and is also a good way to keep in touch with family and friends.
- does not offer organization into categories;
- few configuration options;
- it is not very suitable for commercial activities.
Tumblr is undoubtedly an unusual platform. Its behavior is similar to that of a social network, with the difference of offering the possibility to post a wide variety of content on your “profile”, from images to entire posts.
Although not very popular like the other platforms we mentioned, it is possible to create an attractive and interesting blog using Tumblr, but the ideal is to use it only as a traffic source and not one as an official address.
- allows you to use a custom domain;
- it is intuitive and allows the relationship with other users;
- takes advantage of shared network traffic to display its content to the entire audience.
- limited customization options;
- it takes some time to adapt to the platform;
- it is a little polluted by low quality blogs.
Texpattern values a clean look that, although simple, leaves nothing to be desired in terms of quality and attractiveness. It is a platform widely used by designers for portfolio presentation.
The main advantage is in its agility. It is a very light system, which ends up being very convenient nowadays, in which the majority of accesses come from mobile devices.
- very light and agile system;
- clean look;
- has good options for plugins.
- few customization options;
- little variety of templates;
- has no London version.
Further develop your knowledge of blogs and Content Marketing with these texts:
How to make a blog post that converts: see the complete walkthrough
Discover the history of the largest Digital Marketing blog in London
Tools to monitor blog performance: the 7 best!
Internal links: 7 tactics that will boost your blog results
Where to find content ideas your audience will love
What are the best free CMSs for corporate blogs?
The following CMSs present a broader set of functionalities and are recommended for professional commercial projects and, mainly, for the management of Inbound Marketing strategies.
A great benefit of these softwares is that they allow the creation of a space really yours on the internet, in which your content will not be subject to the rules and circumstances of other platforms.
Haven’t we already talked about WordPress? Yes, but there are two versions of this platform, WordPress.com, which we discussed in the previous topic, and WordPress.org, the CMS behind almost a third of all internet sites.
Because it has a huge community of active collaborators, the software is always undergoing improvements and its database contains tens of thousands of plugins to build your website, blog or store the way you want.
- it has a gigantic community of users, developers and experts;
- allows the creation of any type of website: blogs, e-commerce, institutional portals, etc .;
- very favorable for SEO.
- basic technical knowledge is required;
- you need a server to host it;
- because it is very popular, it requires greater care with safety.
Joomla is cited by many users as the main rival of WordPress. The CMS has strong clients, such as Harvard University, the German MTV website and the iTWire technology portal.
Its interface is very friendly and responsive and it can be used to build different types of websites, from personal blogs to e-commerce and intranet systems.
- has a community of volunteers and developers;
- varied functions and customizations;
- allows the creation of advanced online applications.
- rigid section structure (content cannot be part of more than one category);
- needs external components to make improvements in SEO;
- it is not as flexible as other CMSs.
Drupal is a professional CMS widely used in corporate projects. Big international organizations use it, like Nokia, Sony Music, Tesla and even NASA!
As you can see, this platform leaves little to be desired in almost any aspect and its main positive points are the response time and its security mechanisms.
- high quality resources;
- focused on performance and reliability;
- native modules that integrate marketing and e-commerce tools.
- requires technical knowledge to install and perform some functions;
- not very friendly interface for lay users;
- it is not so popular in London.
Weebly is a very popular platform around the world and surprises with the possibilities it offers. With it, you can create websites, blogs and even e-commerces, even without previous knowledge.
One of its main advantages is the “drag and drop” editor, which makes customizing pages much more practical. Another benefit is the possibility of adding several users with different usage restrictions in the same way as in more complete CMSs, such as Drupal and WordPress.
- simple to use and edit;
- several template options optimized for search engines;
- different features for websites.
- it is not completely free. To enable some functions, it will be necessary to hire paid plans;
- displays a Weebly ad at the bottom of the free account;
- the support in London still leaves something to be desired.
Wix gained popularity due to its extremely flexible website editor. The platform makes the construction of pages a real game to drag, drop, color and customize the way you want.
Due to its highly intuitive character, Wix attracts lay users looking for the simplest possible solution for creating websites and online stores.
- very simple to use and configure;
- very high customization flexibility;
- variety of plugins.
- it is not completely free. To enable some functions, it will be necessary to hire paid plans;
- displays a Wix ad in the free account;
- has some SEO limitations.
Which platform to choose?
If you want to do a leaner advertising job, or just want to add a source of traffic to your main website or online store, the most basic content publishing platforms may be enough.
The most complete CMSs, such as WordPress, Joomla and Drupal, are recommended for those who want to create a professional environment, in which resources of:
All the free blogging platforms that we present in this article are effective and have countless users around the world publishing images, videos and articles daily. The choice, however, will depend on your specific needs and goals.
If you made it this far, it is because you have already realized the importance of creating and publishing relevant content on the internet today. Now, it’s time to turn your company into a storyteller.
Get to know our work a little more closely and understand why Websites Are Us is the best option to leverage your business!