How to layout a website in 10 steps – WAU
The website layout is like a business card for your company. Through it you can encourage the customer to be interested in your products or services and ensure that they have a good experience on your page. To achieve this, there is a step by step that you need to follow.
Some people believe that just being present in a virtual environment is a guarantee of success. As you already know, however, this thinking is wrong and affects the entire marketing strategy of a company.
Thus, it is important to think about details that will make a difference for your target audience and will be able to establish your branding in the market.
One of the things that will have a strong impact on this issue is the your website layout, since he works as a business card for your company.
Therefore, you need to think about making a website layout that is attractive and encourages the customer to stay longer on your page, ensuring a good consumer experience with your brand.
But how to do that? Check now the 10 steps you need to take to get it right when designing your website!
10 steps for website layout
Follow our step by step, below, to learn how to develop a good website layout!
1. Choose a good hosting provider
The hosting service will greatly interfere with the quality of your site. before you worry about the appearance of your web page, you need to choose a provider that offers quality service.
The price is something that you must take into account when choosing the accommodation, but making a decision thinking only about it can be expensive. So, think of some details that will make all the difference, such as:
- compatibility with the platform you plan to use;
- the quality of the support that is offered;
- speed performance;
- whether there are research materials that help you find the solution to the problems that will arise;
- whether the additional resources of the accommodation can facilitate your day to day;
- whether daily backups are made.
2. Define the creation platform
Creating a website from scratch is a lot of work. That is why you need to have creative platforms that are available on the market, since they will help in the development of a website that has quality and is responsive, without major difficulties.
There are CMS platforms on the market – Content Management System – which are content management systems and present themselves as excellent tools that facilitate the creative process.
One of the most popular platforms is WordPress. More than 30% of internet pages use this tool, which is why it is easy to use, has great theme options and gives you the possibility to customize the layout of your website.
3. Make an outline
After taking the previous steps, you need to define what the features and appearance of your site will look like. This step can be done by hand, using pencil and paper, or with the help of website template creation tools that can be installed on your computer.
The important thing is create your outline so that it contains all the elements that you think are important on your site. Whenever necessary, review what has been done to make your brand “face”.
4. Configure the tools
Once you’ve done that, it’s time to select the tools you need to bring your ideas to life. Therefore, you must:
- install everything you need on the creation platform;
- choose the layout of your website, then install and activate it;
- make use of tools that allow modification of what is necessary.
This will enable your prototype to work the way you want and be attractive to the public when it comes to putting everything into practice.
5. Research your target audience
The layout of your company’s website needs to be developed so that it communicates with your target audience, which will help to focus on the consumer experience.
When creating your website layout, consider the following aspects of your audience:
- age group;
- market performance area;
- where they live;
- predominant gender;
- what they do for fun.
Also look for other features that are important to attract the right people to your site.
How to get all this information? One tip is to use tools like Google Analytics and Facebook Insights, which will offer valuable data about your audience.
6. Pay attention to the pages
Remember that there are different types of pages that you will need to create and each one should have the necessary characteristics to get your audience’s attention.
At least 5 of them deserve your full attention:
- home – the home page, where you can add a brief summary of your company and some photos;
- contact – where will the necessary information for the customer to contact your company (address, telephone number and e-mail);
- about the company – it will be your space to show what the company’s values are, tell a little of its history and describe the work you do;
- products – to show what you have to offer in order to solve a customer’s problem;
- blog – in which you will publish relevant content that will generate value and contribute to the daily life of your audience.
7. Think about navigability
Your client needs to be able to navigate your pages with ease, which will make them entertained and more and more interested in what you have to offer.
Regardless of whether the site is accessed on a computer screen or on a mobile device, it is important that you create a website layout that is intuitive, that is, that:
- present all the right information;
- be simple;
- be easy to use and consistent.
A tip for this is to create the quick access buttons. But be careful not to put too much information and confuse your customer.
8. Choose images and colors
Nobody likes to go to a website and have to work hard to be able to see important details of what they want to buy.
That is why, invest in high resolution images and present things from different angles. This is true for images of your company as well as those that describe the products and services you offer the customer.
Another important thing is the choice of colors, which can help or hinder sales. Remember that the human being automatically associates colors with some feelings. Some examples are:
- green – harmony, balance, hope and perseverance;
- blue – security, tranquility and mental clarity;
- red – impulse, achievement and self-esteem;
- purple – prosperity and respect;
- orange – movement and spontaneity.
In the layout of your website, choose the colors that represent your market. An important tip is to keep the harmony between them, always placing the website background light and using darker colors in the footers and sides of the pages.
Doing this with common sense will help your page to look beautiful and the customer will not tire their eyes easily.
9. Put the layout prototype into practice
Now is the time to place your sketch on the design platform you selected. If you have chosen to use WordPress, use plugins to place all elements of your website in the order in which they should appear.
Thus, texts, website categories, images and videos will already have the right spaces in your website design. But to do that, you need to know exactly what you want and where you want it. That is why it is so important to sketch the layout.
After your prototype is ready, you will still identify some elements that do not match the layout or that are not as good as you imagined.
Then you can decide what to keep or change. The important thing is pay attention to details and make your page attractive to the customer.
10. Run tests
Now that your pages are ready, it’s time to test their responsiveness. After all, having a website crashed can disrupt your sales.
So, test the functioning of the pages, checking how they are in the mobile version and if they are adaptable to different screen sizes. This will ensure that the customer has a good experience when accessing your website.
It is also important to test the page loading speed. It needs to be fast, after all, the delay can cause the public to give up accessing the site.
Most common mistakes when designing a website
So far you’ve been able to see what it takes to have a memorable website layout. But, it is still important to remember that there are some things that need to be avoided. These are:
- use many different fonts on the page, which ends up taking the customer’s focus;
- not choosing colors well;
- use very long lines and huge paragraphs in texts, which makes reading difficult;
- fail to implement a research field;
- put a lot of information on a single page;
- build the site without knowing the customer.
As you saw, creating the layout of your website is important and requires attention. By putting into practice the step-by-step that we show and avoiding the most common mistakes, you will be able to create a website that attracts more customers to your company.
Did you like to know this 10 steps to layout a website? Do you want to know a little more about the most used creation platform? Take the opportunity to check out the 145 best free WordPress themes to make your blog stand out!