Master the art of SEO with the 8 good backlink practices that we have in this post! – WAU
We have already talked about backlink and link building here on the blog a few times. We reinforce its relevance in a digital marketing and SEO strategy. But this already a subject that raises many doubts – and consequently several myths – is even more evident after the recent Penguin update, since now the checks […]
We have already talked about backlink and link building here on the blog a few times. We reinforce its relevance in a digital marketing and SEO strategy.
But this already an issue that raises many doubts – and consequently several myths – is in even greater evidence after the recent Penguin update, since now the backlink checks for which he is responsible, now happen in real time.
The idea of this article is to present how to keep your SEO strategy healthy and within the legal parameters of Google, with good backlink practices that you can apply now.
1. Be patient
Keep in mind that for a good backlink strategy, it takes patience and a lot of work.
Today, perhaps more than ever, there is no point in getting a ton of low quality links of questionable nature. This increases your chances of receiving punishments from Google and consequently wasting time and money.
SEO takes time and works like a solitaire game between you and the search engines. Perhaps that is exactly why it is called a strategy.
Be wary of those who promise miraculous results in a short time. Achieving mature SEO results takes time, and maintaining them requires as much effort and discipline as at first.
2.Define objectives and goals
As with any marketing action, you should start a link building strategy by defining goals to be achieved through it, before you even try to get backlinks and generate content.
With goals, the aforementioned patience work is easier to deal with, since you will have well-defined KPIs to monitor and know if your work has paid off, even if it has not reached the final goal.
In addition, it is important to note that these defined objectives must be directly related to your company’s business objectives.
An example of a bad goal is “getting 10 backlinks”. This says nothing about business metrics, per se.
It is already a challenge to prove the value of SEO for many companies, given the term of success mentioned above. It is because of this challenge that it is important to set realistic goals, aligned with those of the company, and more strategic than “getting X backlinks”.
For example, you can define that you want to get backlinks to increase organic traffic by X% and reduce the cost of acquiring customers by Y%, which consequently will increase profit by Z%.
Focus on big long-term achievements, not small immediate wins.
3. Check your competitors’ backlinks
One of the most effective good backlink practices is to use tools that assess who is sending a link to your digital competitors and then approach those sites and offer a replacement link, with better content and information than what it was pointing to before.
Today, the main tools for this are:
- SEMRush – Very complete, with an overview of the domain, indexed keywords and backlinks, SEMRush is a vital part of almost any digital marketing strategy. It is paid, starting at U $ 69.95, and it is possible to use it free, but limited;
- Backlinks Monitor – paid (starting at $ 25 per month), but it offers a free trial period, and there is plenty of information and content to help you get started;
- AHRefs – Another excellent tool, with some additional functions and greater robustness. However, it is much more expensive (starting at U $ 99 per month), with the only alternative to test it being also paid – test 7 days for U $ 7.
Getting links from domains that already point to your competitors can be challenging at different times, you need to evaluate several factors before you even address them. Let’s give some tips.
- Check your competitor’s relationship with that company. Use the whois to identify who is responsible for that domain and find out if they are companies belonging to the same group or the same person. Remember, time is a very valuable asset here.
- Check the quality of your competitor’s backlinks. Bad neighborhood links are not worth your effort. Have a checklist ready to check the quality of a link, and if it does not fit into black hat strategies that may harm you in the future.
- Look especially for backlinks to educational content that your competitor is receiving, do something more up-to-date and complete, and inform the vehicle that you have a more robust and up-to-date source of information so that it makes your article more complete. In addition, content links are worth more to Google than other types of links.
Getting backlinks involves a lot of relationship as well. Simply going around asking for links is unlikely to generate good results.
Personalize your e-mails, keep follow-ups and treat this practice as prospecting for backlinks, almost as a prospecting for sales, with all the necessary documentation and monitoring.
Research, create relationships, produce content and then go after backlinks!
4. Make Smart Guest Posts
We have already mentioned that generating quality content and publishing it on quality and relevant sites is a good recommended practice, as you will achieve a healthy and natural backlink.
However, it is important to highlight a few points that you should note before looking for Guest Posting opportunities:
Variation of anchor texts
You can read more about anchor texts and understand their real value in SEO strategies, but basically they help guide Google’s robots with the keywords that lead to other links.
With this perception, many professionals decided to abuse the practice of guest posting with repetition of anchor texts, which after the inclusion of the new version of Penguin, put these guest posts in the sights of Google’s penalty.
So look for:
- Use variations of the keyword instead of the same word or phrase repeated several times;
- Do not use the brand or company name excessively;
- Make a text more fluid and natural, avoiding everything that gives an aspect of “I’m only here for SEO”;
- Produce content relevant and informative.
Make posts in related domains
Think about guest posts and their ultimate purpose.
Receiving links from domains that are stronger than yours, but very far from your industry or audience, will end up being more harmful than beneficial.
Now even more, as Penguin looks for suspicious links that sound like spam or purely SEO-driven.
5. Escape private blog networks
There are still people who fall into “link farming” practices and private blog networks that promise many backlinks that will increase their traffic and rankings on Google. This is a problem for several reasons, such as:
- Google officially condemns the practice of buying links and these networks are nothing more than that;
- The quality of these backlinks is very low and will hinder much more than help your strategy;
- It will be wide open to Google that you are attempting to manipulate its search engines, and we all know how much it hates and penalizes it.
If you’re looking for ways to get more backlinks, choose the natural path of things: make great infographics, high quality educational content, success stories and get quotes and links that make sense.
6. Be interesting
To receive backlinks you need to go beyond having an excellent website or name in the market.
There are several ways for you to build authority, making other sites decide to point to yours through backlinks.
Some examples of what you can do to make your site get backlinks more easily:
- Exclusive information: Researching your market trends, with data and numbers are very strategic to receive quotes as a source for some other article or website. One example is our research into content marketing trends 2016.
- Promote products: Especially when we are talking about tools or software, another great way is to offer a trial or ask for a review of your product for influencers who can contribute to your marketing strategy.
- Create a community: Participate in forums, opine in groups and build a community. People will always be the most important asset for any company!
- Create relevant content: Like it or not, you will have to get your hands dirty and create great content, be it blog posts, infographics, ebooks, videos or even calculators and other relevant tools for your audience. “Right content, at the right time, on the right channel, for the right reader, is the whole realm.”
7. Look for broken links
Yes, the 404 page can be used to your advantage! Not only as we described in the linked article, but also for your link building strategy.
Basically, you should look for websites that link to broken sources, taking the user to a page that doesn’t exist.
Produce content or search your blog for content that provides the information that the site linked to, contact the responsible webmaster and offer this new link.
Ready! VYou got a quality backlink while helping a potential partner.
To make life easier, I suggest you install the “Check My Links” extension, which scans websites and presents a form marking all broken links in red, automating the process.
Then, in order to more easily find interesting sites for your niche that may have broken links, use Google and do a search using the parameters:
“Keyword” + inurl: links and
“Keyword” + inurl: resources
See the example below:
So the first result is a website that cites interesting links related to the search terms. See the list of the first 10 sites that appear, use Check My Links on the ones that are most attractive for your purpose and map the broken links.
A good practice is to maintain documentation and control, making this a process.
Use spreadsheets to organize broken sites and links, in order of relevance. This will help to direct your efforts and save you time.
8. Be among the links of the week
Have you noticed that several specialized portals or blogs have a habit of holding a weekly or monthly meeting of the best links and sources for reading and information about a specific topic or niche?
Well, this is one of the best ways to get quality backlinks.
If you have published a super-post-fagmatic on a specific subject, and have authority in between, you can expect to be quoted by these vehicles naturally.
But, of course, there are good practices for getting backlinks like this and making the process easier (the part of producing great content continues, of course!)
If you send content asking for a backlink from a blogger of high relevance to a niche, you will probably hear a resounding no.
But if you find portals or bloggers who make weekly posts with read indications, your chances are higher because he needs material for posts of this type.
To find interesting domains that produce content that way, go to Google and search using the following variations:
- Keyword +
- Links of the week
- Articles of the week
- Posts of the week
- Blogs of the week
- Top links
- Top posts
- Best blogs
- Best content
And similar variations, such as containing the keyword “month” instead of week. See the example below:
Make sure to use the button search tools and view only results from the last month, to make sure that this type of post is still active.
Again, run a process: check the results, analyze the relevance, document everything and go for the approach!
It doesn’t hurt to reinforce that everything Google wants to punish is suspicious backlink acquisitions and poor quality.
Now, especially with the Penguin update, he will pay more and more attention to links with a spammer character, anchor texts repeating keywords or any other manipulation practices of his search engines.
We have said this several times in this article, but try to maintain an excellent content production, update them whenever possible, and do a good link building (and “good” means a lot of hard work, metrics and well-defined processes).
Another tip is to stay up-to-date: take advantage and find out about updates and changes in Google’s ranking factors!