If you are looking for a host for your website, you have certainly heard of OVH (OVH Cloud since October 2019). This London company, founded in 1999, has become one of the world leaders on the market. In this article, we are going to present you in detail the different hosting offers as well as some main features of the web host which, we hope, will help you in your final decision.
OVH in a few words
OVH has 1.3 million customers worldwide, hosts 18 million web applications in 19 countries and has more than 25 data centers. OVH also has very good reviews from their on the rating sites. Certainly, a perfect host does not exist (if there were, everyone would use the same), as always, it all comes down to determining whether this is the right host for you. OVH is best known for its cloud and dedicated hosting, although it also offers personal web hosting packages at a lower price. On top of that, although it offers these cheaper plans, it clearly focuses on higher value customers, so if you’re looking to cut costs and save money, you should look elsewhere. Before you start, as you probably already guessed, OVH is a multinational. There are 24 versions of the website, depending on your location and currency. Although you may think that all services and products are the same, it is not. In European and African countries, OVH sells shared hosting, while in Asia, North America and Oceania, it focuses on the sale of dedicated and private servers.
Presentation of the different accommodation offers
Classic web hosting
Regarding conventional web hosting on OVH, you will have the choice between 4 options. The entry level called “Kimsufi Web”, the “Personal” offer, the “Pro” offer and, finally, the “Performance” offer. Although there are many noticeable differences between each (we will come to that), the common point is that your domain name is offered for 1 year. With the plan Kimsufi Web, which will cost you 1.79 € per month, you will have 1 GB of disk space, 2 5GO email accounts as well as 3 support tickets included. A perfect compromise if you want to get started. With the offer Activity at 3.59 € per month, you will benefit from 100GB of disk space, the possibility of installing WordPress in 1 click or even a 200MB database. With the offer Pro at € 7.19 per month, you will have 250 GB of disk space, 100 email accounts at 5 GB or even 3 SQL databases at 400 MB or just one at 2 GB. Finally, with the offer Performance at 11.99 € per month, you will have 500 GB of disk space, 1000 email accounts at 5 GB or even 3 databases at 800 MB or just one at 4 GB. Note that for this package, you will have the choice between 1 vCore, 2GB of RAM or 2 vCore, 4GB of RAM or 3 vCore, 6GB of RAM or 4 vCore, 8GB of RAM.
Plesk web hosting
OVH Plesk web hosting lets you free yourself from technical administration and gain productivity. You will have the choice between 3 offers: VPS Classic 1, VPS Classic 2 and VPS Classic 3.
These 3 packages cost respectively 5.99, 11.99 and 17.99 € per month (annual invoicing). What will change in each of them is the web space, the RAM memory or the number of email accounts
Regarding Cloud hosting, you will have the choice between 3 offers: Cloud Web 1, Cloud Web 2 and Cloud Web 3. As you can see in the photo above, the offers differ depending on the RAM (2, 4 or 8 GB), storage space (10, 25 or 65 GB) and, of course, the price (from 11.99 to 40.79 € TTC per month).
Website creation – Personalized price estimation
Websites Are Us has developed a recommendation engine which allows you to obtain a free detailed price estimate as well as a selection of software and providers adapted to your website creation needs.
The main features of OVH
OVH is a host rich in features, offering many different services. The features it includes with personal hosting accounts vary greatly from the features it offers to dedicated and cloud hosting customers, but some features are available with a standard plan. For example, his plans come with a free domain name for the first year, free SSL certificates, and anti-DDoS protection.
Global Data Center
OVH has expanded its data center network, which means you can choose where you want to host your website. It currently has data centers in Canada, Singapore, Australia, London, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the east and west coasts of the United States. Spain, Italy and the Netherlands are due to arrive soon.
The OVH ecosystem includes community forums, group “labs” and a digital launch pad. The group’s laboratories allow users to test new versions before the official release, while the launch pad is a dedicated accelerator program designed to drive innovation.
Processing AI and Machine Learning
In addition to offering storage as a service, OVH’s cloud division can provide processing power, including for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning algorithms. This makes it a solid choice for academics and research teams, as well as for business owners, bloggers and enthusiasts. It has a little something for everyone.
Although the company has many cheaper hosting options, its real strength is the power of its advanced servers. They come with all kinds of benefits, including more resources, faster load times, and 500 GB of storage space for backups only. It is ideal for hosting ecommerce sites and for other circumstances where your site is vital to your core business.
Advantages and disadvantages of using OVH
- A variety of services. OVH is in no way a single service provider. You can find VPS hosting plans, dedicated servers and cloud services. The plans for OVH dedicated servers depend on the speed, the size of the backup space and the bandwidth. However, there are no plans for shared hosting. You will therefore have to look elsewhere for this service.
- The pricing structure. OVH pricing remains affordable for all website developers. Their cheapest VPS plan starts at just $ 3.49 per month. This plan includes 10 GB of disk space and 1 GB of RAM. The most expensive VPS plan is only $ 22 a month, and is capable of storing up to 100 GB of data and 8 GB of RAM. Dedicated server plans start at $ 109, but you get a lot more data and RAM. Their cloud hosting plans are a little more expensive, but they run on VPS, giving you that extra personal touch and that sense of security.
- Customer service. OVH customer support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but their advice is not really for beginners. Customer service representatives will give you sound advice on how to resolve your problem. But it’s up to you to implement the solution they give you. If you are unsure how to do this, they can provide advice in real time. However, problems will likely take longer to resolve.
- Energetic efficiency. OVH has also entered the market for ecological data centers. Aware of the environmental impact of energy-consuming servers, OVH has been committed to energy efficiency since 2003. The company removed air conditioning from its data centers in 2010 and optimized its cooling system to reduce energy consumption. OVH has always scored between 1.0 and 1.2 on the energy efficiency index – better than most companies.
- Speed and reliability. OVH offers a 99.99% uptime guarantee, with a response time of five minutes or less in the event of a breakdown. The company’s servers are also very fast, which you can see when loading the pages. In one test, the response time was on average less than 400 ms. Their services remain very reliable. Over 90% of OVH users attest to the reliability of the company.
- Confused and inconsistent interface. Their interface is not necessarily the most user-friendly on the market. OVH also has many different management interfaces. This can be confusing for new users who want to reconfigure their website. Management interfaces and the level of support offered also vary by location. This can be a little annoying for customers who are used to traveling. And if you want to expand the server capacity of your site, you will have to pay. OVH hosts servers worldwide, but accounts are limited to one location per server. If you want to configure a server in another location, you will need to register and pay for another account.
- Simplistic customer support. Most of the negative reviews regarding OVH relate to poor customer support. Apparently, customers may have different customer support expectations than what they actually get. OVH VPS customer support does not offer application support. They will only offer infrastructure support, which is the main responsibility of the company. This approach is unlikely to be suitable for inexperienced users. So if you prefer a more active customer support team, OVH may not have what you are looking for. Many reviews on OVH also complain about customer support for other reasons. Response times may be slow for support tickets. It may take 24 hours or more to get a response. If you are requesting a refund, even just one day after signing up for their service, you may need to write several emails before you can get your money back.
Conclusion – Opinion of Websites Are Us
To be completely honest, OVH is not really a solution for you if you are a beginner. On the other hand, it is quite fair to say that OVH has a multitude of options that will take your website to another dimension. Very affordable prices, high quality servers, solutions for telephony, dedicated servers etc. the list goes on and it’s not for nothing that OVH is a world leader in hosting.
If the subject of accommodation interests you, I strongly invite you to browse these articles: