Evernote is the most popular note-taking app. But if you are reading this article, you are wondering if there are no other similar apps. The answer is yes. There are great alternatives to Evernote. We wanted to present you 7. Good discovery!
1st alternative to Evernote – Boostnote, for developers
Boostnote is a free, open source note-taking app that will appeal to most developers. This tool allows you to quickly write notes for the Markdown application and code snippets. When creating and editing Markdown notes, Boostnote places an additional panel on the right side of your window to preview the formatting of the note while you write. Notes even support LaTeX blocks, for those who write heavy mathematical formulas.
You can synchronize your data with devices such as Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS.
- It provides customizable themes.
- Write or edit notes even if you are offline.
- You can also define shortcut keys to easily write notes.
- Some features are not consistent
- You must use a third party service for synchronization (Dropbox, etc.)
Boostnote is available in free version and offers a subscription of $ 5 per month with 45-day free trial.
2nd alternative to Evernote – Google Keep, for experienced Google users
If you’re looking for a fast, free Evernote alternative for note-taking, start with Google Keep, free for anyone with a Google account. While it can easily replace Evernote as a place to store quick thoughts and ideas, it lacks some of the premium features of Evernote.
This does not mean that Google Keep is not a good alternative. With Android and iOS apps and a Chrome extension, you can access, edit, and add new notes to your Keep storage on multiple platforms. You can also access Keep from Google Docs apps such as Slides, which allows you to easily import images and text notes.
- Completely free.
- You can create notes, set reminders, and check your completed tasks.
- It allows you to add a collaborator to your lists and notes.
- This tool allows you to search for notes by automatically created themes.
- Google Keep lets you group notes.
- You can color the notes for easy scanning.
- It automatically syncs data to your tablet, phone, laptop and watch.
- Google Keep does not support text formatting, only plain text. Evernote is more for MSWord type notes.
- No hierarchical organization.
Google Keep is free, however, the amount of storage space you get in Keep depends on your Google Drive storage, which is 15 GB by default.
3rd alternative to Evernote – Microsoft OneNote, for its free plan
Unlike the simplistic approach of Google Keep, Microsoft OneNote is a more serious competitor to Evernote. OneNote is free to use, with desktop and Windows 10 apps available.
OneNote separates your thoughts into individual notebooks, where you can save images, text, links, and more. The Web Clipper extension for Chrome lets you record information on the web, while mobile apps let you take photos in the real world, with OCR features that convert images to text in your OneNote notebooks .
- The much simpler and more intuitive interface.
- You get all the functionality of Microsoft OneNote for free.
- Unlike Evernote, you can put text boxes anywhere on the screen.
- You can take notes, draw, make to-do lists, add images, add formulas and more.
- It is not a true multiplatform (Linux is not compatible).
- There are missing options for sorting notes.
Microsoft OneNote is free when you get an Office 365 subscription, not sold separately.
4th alternative to Evernote – Apple Notes, for Mac users
While this is only a macOS and iOS option, Apple Notes is a good candidate to be the best Evernote alternative for Mac users. It’s a basic app, so you should be able to find it directly on your Apple devices.
Apple Notes is very simple to use, with basic formatting options for text, as well as the ability to sort information into tables. You can also use Notes to store images, as well as to scan documents or sketches using your iOS devices.
- Free for Apple users
- Allows cross-platform editing via the browser.
- Can create nested lists of hierarchical folders.
Apple Notes is free with 5 GB of storage on all iCloud services. Subscription starts from $ 0.99 / month for 50 GB of storage.
Website creation – Personalized price estimation
Websites Are Us has developed a recommendation engine which allows you to obtain a free detailed price estimate as well as a selection of software and providers adapted to your website creation needs.
5th alternative to Evernote – Concept, for teamwork
Notion is a note taking, collaboration and project management software that can be integrated into databases. This tool offers spreadsheets to keep track of your work.
For more complex note-taking, you can create a dedicated workspace to store all meeting notes in one place and share them with the team. Or you can link to relevant notes from a team project plan.
- It supports more than 30 types of media.
- Tasks and projects are easy to manage using a calendar.
- You can integrate more than 50 applications.
- You can collaborate in real time.
- The free account is just a demo.
Notion is free and offers three paid versions. Rates then range from $ 40.99 / month for individual use at $ 16 0.99 / month for the company account.
6th alternative to Evernote – Simplenote, for distraction-free note taking
Services like Evernote and OneNote aim to consolidate all forms of note taking, including images and video content. The aptly named Simplenote reversed this approach, offering a much simpler Evernote alternative.
Simplenote is only in text, that is to say without images or video. It might not appeal to everyone, but the service also offers collaboration with other users, as well as the ability to publish your notes to the web. You can undo changes to your notes, as well as format them using Markdown.
- You can easily find notes with instant search and tags.
- It allows you to share a list, post instructions, or post notes online.
- You can save your notes when you edit them.
- This tool allows you to stay up to date on all devices without pressing any buttons.
- Limited functionality to rearrange notes.
- No support for attachments.
Simplenote is free, with no upgrades or in-app purchases. There is no storage limit, as long as you do not abuse it, according to the terms of the company.
7th alternative to Evernote – Standard Notes, for secure and encrypted note taking
If you need a safe place to store confidential notes, Standard Notes combines a simple user interface with 100% encrypted note taking. Whether you use your smartphone, computer or tablet, your notes are fully encrypted with a password that only you know. And, since Standard Notes has made its code open-source, you can clearly see how your data is processed.
- Faster and lighter than most other applications.
- Everything you write is encrypted by default and only you can access it.
- You can choose whether you want Markdown, rich text or the classic editor.
- Supports all devices, including Linux.
- It cannot host images, you must save your images elsewhere before you can save them in the app.
- Cannot drag and drop notes between folders and tags.
Standard Notes subscription starts from $ 9.99 billed monthly with a 30-day free trial.
These Evernote alternatives are a good place to start if you are looking to improve your productivity but want to leave Evernote behind. Services like OneNote and Boostnote can help you stay organized, keeping your thoughts and ideas in one place. We hope this article will help you make the right choice for your business. You just have to get started!
To go further, we advise you to discover our full article on the top 30 of the best Growth Hacking tools.