Since content marketing has become one of the priorities of online business, bloggers have followed different strategies to achieve better results, including guest posting or guest blogging.
In fact, the years go by and it seems that this practice does not decline despite the trends or the degree of competition that may exist in each sector; Virtually every professional with a blog has ever been willing to write and / or host guest posts.
Myself, whenever I have the time and the possibility to do so, I encourage this type of collaboration on my blog and try to have a presence in other media, as it provides a series of benefits that you will discover in this article.
For you to take note, in this post I will talk about all this:
What is Guest Posting or Guest Blogging?
The first thing I want to talk to you about is what a guest post is and what it consists of putting it into practice as a strategy, because by analyzing what we are talking about you will be able to assess and decide if it is something that interests you.
If we had to summarize what guest blogging consists of in a few words, you will surely agree with me that it is simply based on participating as a guest in another blog, I distinguish my own. But do you know it’s not just that?
Writing guest posts is an online marketing strategy, and it is also a networking strategy.
Guest Posting as a Branding Strategy
When you practice guest posting you are carrying out online marketing actions, since it is about giving visibility to high quality content in other media to positively influence your online reputation.
Guest Posting as a Networking Strategy
At the same time, you are working to expand your network of contacts, since relationships are established with other colleagues in the sector through collaborations via blogging.
It is, therefore, a very complete type of strategy that, as we will see below, has many advantages for your brand.
Guest blogging allows you to reach a wider audience, but also to let other agents in the sector know your capabilities.
Benefits of Guest Posting or Guest Blogging
Guest blogging can be analyzed from two perspectives, since it is a completely two-way strategy:
- From the position of host who gives up his blog to publish guest posts.
- From the author position he goes to other blogs to share his content.
My recommendation here is that you try to live the experience from both sides, regardless of which medium is the most relevant, since you must give more importance to reciprocal collaboration with other professionals to establish “win-win” relationships.
Why publish posts from guest authors?
Let’s start by analyzing what benefits you will be able to perceive if you are going to create a blog (or you already have it) and include third-party participations:
- Greater variety of content: The invited authors will contribute new points of view offering a more complete experience to the readers.
- Wide target audience: Not only will you reach your audience, but the followers of that author will have the opportunity to get to know your blog.
- Greater visibility on social channels: The most natural thing is for you to share the contents of your blog, and for the guest author to do so on their social media profiles.
- More productivity: By having quality content written by others you save that time, in which you do not publish, to prepare other content.
- New ideas for the editorial calendar: Guest blogging helps you have quality posts on your blog even when you have trouble finding new topics.
Opening your blog to other writers is an opportunity in many ways. In fact, if your blog has a long history, it is more than likely that the collaborators offer to participate without you having to search for them.
However, keep in mind that, although there are many bloggers looking for healthy collaborations, you will also find competitors who try to take advantage of these opportunities, camouflaging by “guest blogging” what in reality is “link building” undercover zero cost.
Not all the offers that come to you to include a guest post on your blog are equally interesting, even some will not suit you.
So, you should pay special attention to the professionals with whom you enter into this type of collaboration, as there is a tendency to engage in unfair competition through the inclusion of suspicious links or anchor-texts that seek to compete for our same keywords and make us fall in the rankings.
Why make guest posts for other media?
If we look at this type of strategy from the point of view of the author who participates in other blogs, the benefits are different but also very valuable:
- Transfer of authority: It is quite common that, naturally, in a guest post you can include a link to some content on your site, thereby transferring domain authority to it.
- More reach: You have the opportunity to reach new readers who do not know you yet or are not faithful followers of your publications.
- New opportunities: Writing on other blogs gives you the opportunity to be known by other professionals, and you leave open the possibility of new business opportunities.
- Possibility of doing something different: When writing in another space, you go a bit outside of your own rules to abide by the style of your host, allowing you to write about other topics or approach it with a different style.
- New visits to your blog: Readers of the host blog may be interested in your content, receiving after this action more web traffic.
Participating from this side in guest posting strategies tends to be more interesting for beginning bloggers who want to give themselves visibility and achieve a good transfer of authority.
However, unfortunately, the more referring the host medium is, the more difficult it can be to give up a space, or at least to do it with the right to a link. Think you should focus on real opportunities where everyone wins.
How to follow a Guest Blogging Strategy
A priori it may seem easy to start collaborating but, like any strategy, it requires planning (it is not a matter of “meeting people” or “making friends”).
In guest blogging everyone should earn something, and so you should make him see the other party, leaving aside your professional interests.
Therefore, whether you are a guest or a host, I recommend following these tips for smart guest posting:
1) Know your competitors
Before offering yourself as a partner to collaborate on another blog or accept external collaborations, you should analyze whether or not the other party competes professionally with your profile or business model.
Ideally, you should look for blogs that are complementary to your business. For example, if you have a travel blog focused on selling tourist guides, do not try to make a guest post in a medium with the same purpose, but on pages that offer complementary services such as accommodation or tickets for attractions.
In other words, join professionals who can discuss complementary topics and have no positioning interests that compete with yours.
2) Contact without intrusions
If it is you who is going to make the contact to do guest blogging, do it in the most opportune way; Do not try to impose your wishes or chase the other party with successive emails.
Keep in mind that you can meet people who are not interested in this. Accept it and keep looking for possible collaborations.
Here are some good tips to start contacting potential interested in guest posting:
- Search your circle: Starting with people you know will always be easier, and will bring you new opportunities to expand the circle.
- Accept the rules: If you are starting, even if you have experience, don’t try to impose your style or correct the other party in their guest posts. Each blogger has his own way of writing and you must accept it because, if you are not interested, it will be enough not to collaborate.
- Give facilities: Whether you or the other party has made the first contact to make guest posting, be kind and transparent with what you are willing to accept.
3) Prioritize quality in each guest post
Although the interest for many is to insert a link to transfer domain authority, in guest blogging what should prevail above all is the quality of the content.
So promote that both your guest posts, and those of your guests, add value to the readers. Remember that this is an opportunity to attract new traffic and expand business opportunities.
So much so, that in my case I maintain the quality of my texts to the maximum (and even exceed it) when it comes to sharing on other blogs.
4) Do not abandon the collaboration after publishing
Keep in mind that comments are likely to be generated, and even after a while new project opportunities will arise, so you should take care of your relationships with the professionals and media that you decide to do guest blogging.
5) Be generous on your social networks
There is a person who is willing to leave you a space on their blog or collaborate on yours, so you cannot forget to be generous; Do not under any circumstances pose the situation as doing a favor.
My advice is that you do not hesitate to share the content generated jointly on your networks, and you recommend it to others also to do it (all the web traffic that is generated is convenient for both parties).
Errors to avoid in your guest posts or guests
I don’t want to end this article without talking about the most common mistakes when focusing your guest post strategy. Mistakes that many people make but that you should try to avoid.
- Don’t confuse guest blogging with link exchange: You have already seen that it is about generating quality content (the links are secondary).
- Don’t be self centered: Guest posting is not about talking about yourself in other spaces.
- Build relationships: Don’t just post unique articles, long-term professional relationships will bring you much more.
- Do not despise other media: We all want to appear on the most leading and famous blogs, but other more modest spaces can also offer you great opportunities.
- Please note that we have all started from scratch: Listen to the proposals of those who start and take them into account. They may surprise you!
- Keep your blog up to date: Think that if you talk about something outside, those readers can look for more information on your blog.
Guest posting is a strategy that has been working for a long time and that continues to interest many bloggers today. It is a very complete experience that, well managed, can be a great source of opportunities.
As a final reminder, to tell you that to start a guest blogging strategy like this, you have to be willing to extend it over time and not do it as something specific.
The real benefits will start to appear if you are willing to expand your circle of contacts and open your mind to other collaborations.
Remember that this is not a link exchange, but a complete experience in which all parties are expected to give their best.
Do you usually make guest posts on other blogs in your sector or do you accept guest authors in your editorial calendar?