If you have been blogging for your company for a long time or work as a freelance writer writing articles, surely you have ever asked yourself a question such as:
How can I write articles that allow me to attract clients? What guidelines for better writing am I forgetting? o How can I position my website writing quality articles?
Do not worry, questions like these are very normal in the day to day. Being a blogger is very fashionable but in the end, writing articles that allow you to attract customers is not as easy as it seems.
There are many aspects to consider before starting and there are certain guidelines for writing that you must weigh before you start:
- You need to have a broad knowledge of what you are going to write about.
- You need to know who your target audience or potential customer is and what their needs or interests are.
- You will need to know positioning, at least the base.
- You will need to know about digital marketing, because you will have to learn how to promote your blog and your content etc.
But don’t worry too much about this either, as the solution can be quick. Nothing like starting to spend time, writing articles to practice and maybe doing some online marketing courses and in two or three months you will be 100%.
Does this seem like a suitable time?
Well in case you need a boost, in this post I want to show you the 7 basic guidelines for writing articles that bring you clients.
Ready? … Well, let’s start at the beginning.
Why do I need to have a blog and what benefits does it bring me?
Creating a blog is one of the best things you can do to attract customers to your website. Nothing as natural as writing articles that generate real interest in your users to attract them to your brand.
However, do you know what are the main benefits of having a blog and writing excellent content? Pay attention:
1.- Quality content helps improve SEO
Writing quality articles implies that these are well positioned according to Google’s SEO recommendations.
Keywords are one of the pillars that you should work on when writing your articles, because if you manage to rank them in Google, the positioning of your website will greatly improve.
2.- Writing good articles helps to increase web traffic
The more content you have in the top positions of Google the more visits you will have and consequently you will also be able to attract customers in a more natural way.
3.- It allows you to improve your brand image
Writing excellent articles means that you are going to increase the attention of your audience towards your brand.
Not only will they know what you do, but you will also become a source of relevant content, which will improve the relevance of your brand (personal or corporate).
4.- It will allow you to attract customers
Content creation is the basis of Inbound Marketing, a customer attraction strategy based on the creation of quality articles and content that are worked on throughout the Sales Funnel.
As it is content that responds to a user’s need or interest, this way of attracting customers is very natural and presents a very significant return on investment.
As you can see, having a blog and writing articles is not as easy as it may seem at the beginning. But if you follow the recommendations that I am going to leave you here, in no time you will surely become a Blogger with capital letters.
How to write quality articles? Guidelines for writing better content
As we have been seeing, writing excellent articles that bring you results requires a specific working methodology and very specific guidelines for writing.
Specifically, I recommend you do these 7 steps, one by one to achieve success in your content marketing strategy.
1.- Think of original titles and make a first draft
We could say that 60% of the success of a content is the title, just as an email is the subject.
Creating attractive and original titles is essential when writing articles, think that when a user finds them on the internet, the first thing they see is that title.
If it does not hook you or is not attractive to him, it will never enter the content and it will have been of no use to you all the time you have spent writing that article.
So in this first step think about things like:
- How would you like to find that article for you?
- What words or expressions are going to catch your reader’s attention?
- Does that title include a keyword? Which?
- Does it really invite you to open it?
Think of an original and attractive first title, a draft and write it down. It is the starting point before writing your article.
2.- Analyze what keywords you are going to use in your content
There is no use writing articles on your blog if they are not finally positioned on Google and help increase traffic to your website.
So before you even write your articles, you have to find the best keywords for that specific article. And since in positioning there is no “assumption” you will need to know for sure if the ones you choose are keywords or not.
And how do I find the best keywords for my articles? I leave you some clues.
- You must work with professional SEO tools to find the best keywords for your content. From there.
- Make a list of keywords and select a maximum of 2 or 3, it will be impossible for you to try to position more. In the case of this post, for example, some of the ones we have chosen are: “guidelines for writing”, “write better” or “write articles”.
- Work with natural, broader searches. Since Google likes naturalness and users don’t know about SEO when we search, think of variables for those more natural keywords:
“How to write better articles”, “how to write quality content”, “attractive and original titles”, etc.
- Add user searches. In other words, expressions that may not be keywords but that the user can put in Google: “how to get customers with the content”, “how to write good articles”, etc.
- Add keywords of your brand or company in the natural discourse of your content.
And don’t forget that to find the keywords needed to write successful articles, you will need to work with professional SEO Tools.
For this reason, I want to leave you three that can be very useful to you.
- Keyword planner. It is a free Google SEO tool that will let you know the best keywords to write well-optimized SEO articles.
- SEMRush. SEMRush is a paid professional SEO tool where you will find not only the best keywords to write the best articles, but you will also be able to analyze which ones your competition is using.
- AnswerThePublic. This SEO tool is free and will allow you to find user searches (not keywords) that are very useful when creating your content, as it makes them more natural.
As you can see, perhaps this point is one of the main guidelines for writing your articles that you will need and probably the one that requires the most time in the entire content creation process.
3.- Google similar items
We can be the best in our field and sector, but if there is competition positioned in Google, we must know what it is writing and how it writes its contents.
Personally, I can’t think of how to position my website or my content on Google without first taking a look at my competition, which does the same as me. Don’t you think
Therefore, my recommendation for this third phase is that you take that first title that you have thought and put it in Google as is. It is very important to know:
- Who is in the first search results and what authority do your pages and articles have.
- What titles have they put for an article similar to yours? List those that you think are most optimal for writing your articles.
- What ideas are working when writing your articles.
- How are its contents working? See if there are sharing plugins on your social networks and if the values that appear are high. If so, they are working well for you.
As you can see, there is a lot of information that you can get from your competition to write successful articles. However, there is another point that I have left for the end that will help you a lot to read your content: how they are structuring their content.
4.- Design a coherent structure before creating the articles
Users do not read, we scan. In this perspective, and especially if you create long content on your blog (above 1,500 – 2,000 words), it is very likely that users will not read it and will only go over it.
It is here where we find another guideline to write better articles that will allow you to increase the reading time and position your content: design an adequate structure.
The structure is the way in which you organize the article. Something as simple as working with titles, subtitles, lists, etc., and that you can see, for example, in this post.
This way of writing articles and organizing them allows the user to know where they are at all times while reading is much easier (visually it is more attractive).
5.- Create a definitive attractive title for your article
At this point you have already made a first title, you know what keywords you are going to work on and you have organized the structure of your entire article.
So now you must create the definitive title for your article. You have all the clues and bases to do it so go ahead. Remember:
- You have to work with original titles.
- They must be attractive titles for the user, that invite them to open the article.
- They must incorporate keywords, the more to the left the better.
6.- Start writing your article
It is time to get down to work, write your articles and also do it in a totally professional way.
All the phases that we have carried out so far will not only help you prepare your content better, but will also allow you to make it more focused.
There is nothing worse than starting to write articles with 2,000 words ahead and without knowing how you are going to organize the information.
Important points to keep in mind when writing your articles:
- Write for the user, not for Google. Of course, you will have to follow their SEO recommendations.
- Locate the keywords you are working on. Repeat the main ones in Title, H1 or content title, titles and subtitles and throughout the text.
- Do not spend repeating the same word to infinity. At most 2% – 3% of the total number of words in the text.
- Add internal links to pages or other posts on your website and complement them with an external link that points to a site that allows you to expand your information.
- Add images, videos or infographics, the multimedia elements help greatly when writing articles that are positioned in Google.
7.- Don’t forget to promote your content
We come to the last of the guidelines for writing quality articles successfully. Promote your article and your blog.
Nothing will have served you so much work if nobody sees it. The reward for all the work when writing your articles is that they can have many visits, be well shared on social networks and become positioned in Google over time.
Then you can say that you have created a successful blog.
And where can you promote your articles?
Well, there are mainly two specific sites that you will have to work on:
- Social networks. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+ and others are excellent places to spread them. You may be interested in publishing it on Pulse (on Linkedin), in the multiple groups that are on Facebook or even giving it a paid promotion on Facebook Ads.
- Email Marketing. If you have a good subscriber database, sending them your articles every time you publish them will give you a constant traffic flow, while you will be generating more interaction with them and giving them more value.
What do you think of these 7 guidelines for writing better articles for your blog?
Each and every one of them we use on our blog every time we write content and the truth is that the result is optimal. So I hope it is for you too.
Alberto Alcocer is CEO at SocieTIC Business Online, Online Marketing and Communication Agency 2.0. He is an online marketing consultant, teacher in Master and MBA programs and Speaker in events related to online marketing.